Friday, October 25, 2013

Halloween Stamped Pillows




You love to stamp and make paper crafts (cards, scrapbooking, 3D paper art). Perhaps you also possess some basic sewing skills and enjoy creating with fabric too. If this sounds like you, then this craft project is right for you!

Did you know that you can use your rubber stamps to stamp fabric? Whether you did or you didn't, I'm hear to tell you that you can Stamp Your Way into some new Halloween pillows! (Or any holiday for that matter.)

My Halloween pillows are actually just pillow covers. I slip my everyday throw pillows inside these covers, and later remove for easy storage after all the witches and goblins have gone home. I love pillow covers because I can change out my pillows for each season/holiday without having to store lots of different pillows. Pillow covers can be folded up like pillow cases and stored easily on a shelf or in your holiday storage tubs.

My inspiration for these pillows came from the new Stampin' Up! holiday catalog, page 22 to be exact. Featured on this page are two card designs that use two Stampin' Up! colors, Basic Black and Gumball Green. There's just something about that color scheme that speaks to me, and thus I knew I had to incorporate it into this year's Halloween decor. So I found some fabric similar to the Gumball Green color and used my new Stampin' Up! Halloween stamps to stamp black images creating my own Halloween pattern. I'm truly thrilled with how my new pillows turned out.
Read on for a video tutorial, written instructions, more pictures, and shopping list.


Video tutorial:

Instructions and Tips:

1. Select a sturdy fabric such as a bottom weight.

2. Prep your fabric ~ very important step, don't skip!
  • Wash fabric to remove any sizing from the manufacturer.
  • Do not use any fabric softener, liquid or dryer sheets
  • Iron fabric smooth.
3. Prepare work area.
  • Select a hard, smooth work surface, such as a kitchen table or floor.
  • Cover and protect work surface to prevent staining of table.
  • Have paper towels and baby wipes handy to keep hands clean and free of ink so you don't accidentally dirty your fabric.
4. Plan out your pattern. Arrange stamps in a pattern that is pleasing to you, or use my pattern.

5. Determine which stamp is the center of your pattern and begin stamping in the center of your fabric. Continue stamping using remaining stamps in your pattern and working out from the center of your fabric. Stamp off the edge of the fabric to mimic professionally manufactured fabric designs.

6. Use an iron to heat set the ink. This will make the ink permanent and washable. 
Set the temperature of the iron to the highest temp recommended for the fabric. Turn off steam setting! Water from the steam or drips from your iron will cause any stamped area to bleed, or wash out if it hasn't been heat set yet.
Place a piece of paper (printer paper will do) over your stamped fabric and iron for about 5 seconds, continuously moving the iron in a circular fashion. Continue heat setting until all areas of the stamped fabric have been heat set.

Use your stamped fabric to make pillow covers, such as mine, or make any number of other sew related projects: table cloth, table runner, placemats, napkins, wall hangings, etc...
You can even stamp your t-shirts!


My stamped pillow paired with some of my other new pillows.

Close up of my stamp pattern.

Basic Shopping list:

No comments:

Post a Comment